Thursday, May 19, 2011

She Had Some Horses.

Doing some research after reading this poem I found out that Harjo was a Native American woman living in the contemporary American world. I also learned this poem is written in the form of a Native American chant, which suggests to me that she was trying to find a way to relate her experiences through the eyes of her culture . The poem literally describes a collection of horses a woman has been through.  In an attempt to interpret this poem I would say that the "horses" could represent two things, and possibly both, or at least the effects of both, I would say they are either people, or her conceptions of the how the people outside of the Native American culture have effected her- and possibly the inclusion of both. In any case each horse seems to be a collection of somber events, mistaken choices, failed philosophies, and heartbreaks. The last line of the poem says "These were the same horses." I believe that line is as in a lot of poems the most important line because it sums all of these past experiences or people (depending which metaphor I'm working with) and saying they're all the same leaves me thinking a few things- They all left her in the same place emotionally / they were all people outside her culture. In any case I found this poem to be very interesting, and something a lot of people could take their own message from and relate to, I know I thought of a few bad choices I made in people, and events as I read through it.

2 comments:

  1. I interpreted the horses she mentions so much, as parts of herself. Like all the parts she had grown up with to make her the person she is today. Interesting that this poem was written as a Native American chant. I certainly thought it was song like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes,some interesting insights. See also my comments on Adam's blog (current class) and Diana A's (previous class)

    ReplyDelete