Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Mother by Gwendolyn Brooks

This poem is very, very sad. It discusses all the things that will never be because a child has been aborted. Its tell of how the mother will never be the mother, never care for her child, never take a moment just to marvel at your child (Return for a snack of them, with gobbling mother-eye). She says of what the children will never have "Your stilted or lovely loves, your tumults, your marriages, aches, /and your deaths,. She says she has stolen the life they would have lived from the. "If I stole your births and your names, /Your straight baby tears and your games, /Your stilted or lovely loves, your tumults, your marriages, aches,  and your deaths,/ If I poisoned the beginnings of your breaths"and she asks for forgiveness "Believe that even in my deliberateness I was not deliberate.". This poem is a confession and a eulogy all at once. I wonder in the poem though when she refers to the abortions, were they her own, is she discussing the procedure in a general sense, or was she helping abortions to take place. I seem to find some meaning in the one worded last line of the poem "All." I dont believe she is discussing her own aborted children, but more so abortion in a general sense, and I find a lot of pity for her in the last stanza. She keeps repeating "Believe me, I loved you all." and with the last line of "All." she signs her confession. 

1 comment:

  1. confession and eulogy,yes. Perhaps it does not matter who, specifically, the "Mother" is (ie., if based on a particular actual person, or not): the speaker here is the voice of a contour of experience, rising out of a particular socio-economic environment--a universal voice, in that sense--an "everywoman" from the under classes...

    ReplyDelete